VETS UNITED Animal Welfare Training
For better veterinary care worldwide
For whom is the workshop material?
The material was developed for people who work or train to work in the animal health field and mainly focuses on animal welfare during practical work with animals like humane handling, preventing, diagnosing and treating diseases, pain and injuries, appropriate population management as well as humane euthanasia. In addition, the material covers the role of animal health professionals as animal welfare representatives for example through advising animal keepers, overseeing animal transport and slaughter as well as reinforcing animal welfare legislation.
How do I use the material?
The free training material can for example be added as an animal welfare module to an existing curriculum in animal health related education e.g. at agricultural colleges and veterinary faculties or as self-contained workshop for vets, vet nurses, paravets, staff of animal related NGOs.
The content is designed to fit a wide range of people and countries so it should be used as a training base adapted according to the background and level of knowledge of the participants and the specific situation in the country.
Organise your own animal welfare training
- Each module contains a lecture, instruction for practicals, multiple choice questions and a handout version for the participants.
- Some topics include training films or other additional material.
- Plan about half to one day per module
- All modules can be selected and combined individual
- Simply register on our website and we will send you a login
- Download all materials you would like to use
Animal welfare modules
- Animal Welfare – Five Freedoms
- Animal Welfare legislation
- Animal Care
- Clinical examination including humane handling
- Fungal diseases
- Viral diseases
- Bacterial diseases
- Responsible use of antibiotics
- Wound Management
- Pain Management
- Population Management including Dog Castration
- Emergency treatment
- Humane Euthanasia
Help us to increase animal welfare awareness
Everywhere in the world people keep animal for various reasons. It is our duty to provide them with everything they need as well as protect them from unnecessary stress, pain, injury and suffering. Stress and poor health can also result in economic losses. Therefore, animals and humans both benefit from good animal welfare.
Animal health professionals like veterinarians and para-veterinarians should always make sure that they keep the animals’ welfare in mind when directly working with animals as well as when advising animal owners and the general public.
To increase the animal welfare awareness of animal health professionals the VETS UNITED team successfully ran Animal Welfare Trainings for vets and paravets in several countries and to reach even more people we decided to make our Animal Welfare Trainings material available online for free.